Many companies take pride in supplying the US government and military with a variety of goods – including uniforms and boots, heavy machinery, materials needed for combat, and even basic office supplies. Working as a DoD supplier can also provide a financially rewarding, long-term business relationship.
It can be challenging to get started, especially if you’ve never provided goods to government agencies before. The complex processes and compliance requirements can deter new suppliers from bidding on contracts. But once you obtain the right hardware and software, your DoD commerce processes become simpler and more efficient.
High-level DoD commerce hardware checklist
Here are some items you may need to get started with DoD commerce. You can purchase these items from individual vendors, or work with a partner that provides a comprehensive DoD commerce solution.
- Label printer (RFID or non, depending on your needs)
- Verification/validation devices
If you’re not sure whether RFID makes a difference, read this article to learn more about why RFID matters when doing business with the government.
5 key questions to ask about RFID printers
As you’re considering your options and making decisions about your DoD commerce hardware setup, here are some crucial questions to ask about label printers:
- Does the printer’s manufacturer specialize in RFID? Some of the most popular printers on the market may not be RFID specialists. As you consider the many label printer options on the market, look for this point of differentiation.
- How much does it cost to configure and test print? Find out what sort of configuration and testing options are available when purchasing from a manufacturer, or whether it makes more sense to purchase through a different source.
- How easy is it to ensure the labels we’re printing are DoD-compliant? Having the right hardware doesn’t guarantee that the labels you’re printing are going to be compliant with Department of Defense standards. Make sure you have a solution in place for creating compliant labels.
- What kind of ongoing support is offered? This will help you determine whether to purchase from the manufacturer or a different retailer.
- How does the hardware integrate into the rest of our DoD commerce processes? For maximum efficiency, it’s best to integrate all the hardware and software components into an end-to-end process.
An integrated, complete DoD commerce solution
Odyssey, a government-approved software vendor, also offers all the hardware suppliers need for efficient, compliant DoD commerce. Our team of experts offers configuration, test printing, and support free with the purchase of a label printer; we’ll also configure and support your existing hardware for a small fee.
The real benefit is a fully integrated process that brings together all the components needed for successful DoD commerce. Get in touch with Odyssey and let us help you build a more efficient process for doing business with the government.